I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: For sailors, plans are written in the sand at low tide. They’re apt to change at the drop of a hat, or with a simple email.
As you know if you read my last blog post, we were planning to head back down to Port Townsend to be there for our engine replacement to start on November 4th. Well, just a couple days ago, we received an email from the boatyard saying that they had an unexpected opening in their schedule and could get us in earlier if we wanted to move more quickly on the engine replacement.
There were a few considerations to take into account, but ultimately we decided to take the chance and get the boat down there and into the care of the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op for the repower.
Fall has descended on the PNW
One thing we took into consideration when decided to go now or wait until November, is the fact that fall is stoutly here and winter seems not far off.
Despite having recently installed our amazing Cubic Mini Wood Stove, we know we likely wouldn’t be adventuring away from the comforts of a marina a whole lot more between now and November 4th.
Winter moorage in Fisherman Bay
One of my biggest concerns regarding going early was the fact that we’d already paid for the whole month of October at the Lopez Islander Resort’s marina. We were planning to be at the Lopez Islander for all of October and had paid $500 on October 1st for the whole month. We didn’t think they’d be willing to refund any of that money if we left early.
We were wrong and are VERY happy to report that just by going in and speaking with the owner, Kathy, we were able to get the rest of the month pro-rated and they’re going to refund over $300!! This may not seem like much, but for us, this is a significant consideration.
The resort has its issues, but the small-town community here is really cool.
Crossing back across the Strait of Juan de Fuca
Plus, we’ve made friends here in Fisherman Bay! We’re sad to leave them, especially considering that they’re not even here this weekend to say goodbye (they’re out cruising for the weekend aboard their boat). But, as long as the weather holds, we’re leaving bright and early tomorrow morning to head back south across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and back to Port Townsend. Wish us luck! ~Rachel